Saturday, April 10, 2010

Reflections

It has now been a few days since I arrived home from Rhode Island and I have been working on settling back in to school, my job, and my personal responsibilities. Tuesday was a bit rough around the edges for me, I was very sad to be leaving and it showed. Even after I arrived back at my apartment I was blubbering a bit. Everything just seemed so overwhelming.

Now I am back into the grind of school Tuesdays and Thursdays, work almost every day, and everything else I have to do. The past few days have given me a lot of time to reflect on the experience I have been fortunate enough to have and I thought I should post some of those thoughts on here.

Doreen thanked me for "making them look good" at the Rhode Island Blood Center, but I can honestly say that the only thing I have done is raise awareness of how amazing the staff is there. They make themselves look good, and, if anyone is given the option of donating in Rhode Island, take it. You won't be disappointed. The people at the blood center weren't only the people handling my donation, but they became my friends as well. I can't thank them enough for looking after me and making sure that I had the most positive, uplifting experience possible. I also have to give them credit for introducing me to Nick, who helped make my days a little less lonely and my apheresis more awesome by bringing cheesecake. Even though he likes to root for the Yankees when they are playing the Red Sox so we can have friendly competitions about who is going to win, I count him among my friends.

As for the after thoughts about the donation itself I feel very fortunate to have been given the opportunity to give someone another chance at life. Although the donor center argued with me on the matter, to me this has never been about me. Like I explained to my Mom, who at the beginning wasn't sure of the process, I am not the type of person who could wake up every morning and live with myself had I said no. I couldn't live with myself knowing I had the chance to help someone and simply chose not to because it might disrupt a week of my time or make me uncomfortable. Yes, at times I was in pain due to the filgrastim, but I reminded myself of the person I was doing it for. If I was in pain, I couldn't imagine how much he must be going through in order to get ready for his transplant. Filgrastim is nothing in comparison to chemo and radiation. Hearing Doreen tell my Mom that he would more than likely receive the cells I donated in less than 24 hours made everything that much more real for me. I have been asked for an update, so in 30 days I will hear from Doreen about how he is doing. I am genuinely hoping for good news, but I hope that my recipient as well as the blood center knows that I am here and will gladly, if need be, donate again as many times as necessary.

One of the most emotional aspects of this has been the response I have gotten from my family and friends. One woman from my home town posted on my wall this week that she had just mailed her swabs back to the registry, all because she heard what I was doing. Granted, it may only be one person, but that is one more person than before that is willing to help if they are called upon. To know that my experience has helped at least raise awareness for the Be the Match program is beyond words. I hope that others will take the time to register too, thinking about it now I would much rather have people thanking me by registering with the Be the Match donor program...

9 comments:

  1. Kylie,
    Thank you for writing this blog. I'm 6 weeks away from donating, it was January when I found out I was a potential match but for some reason it's taken so long to progress (I have had two lots of blood samples taken in the interim).
    I don't know if you'll be able to reply to this but it's difficult to explain to someone who isn't in "my shoes".
    I'm scared, I know the procedure is "risk free" to me, but what if something goes wrong? What if for some reason, even though I'm a match I can't go through with the donation? (I have a medical in 2 weeks to assess my health, and then have a week to find out if everything is okay). What if I do and it makes no difference?
    I *want* to give this person who I'm a match for the best chance. I can handle a few needles, I can handle a few days of feeling under the weather. But I don't know if I can handle coming this far and not being able help. That scares me, but even just writing this comment is helping.
    Talking to my friends and family doesn't help - they say how brave they think I am and what a good thing it is. But like you say, the emotions aren't about *me*, it's about this unknown person who I might be able to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Azeem,
    I don't know if you will get the chance to read this response (sorry its taken so long) but I hope you do and it helps you.

    Going through this process is both very exciting and terrifying all at the same time. You are so excited to be helping someone while all the time dreading something not going as planned.

    By now you have had your medical assessment and know if you are healthy enough to donate so I will address the other things you worried about. If you do donate and the recipient relapses you have the opportunity to donate a second time or a third in order to help them go into remission. If, unfortunately, they pass away you have to be at peace in your soul knowing you did everything in your power to help. Sometimes these things are out of our hands, no matter how far science and technology have advanced. Don't think you can't be sad if your recipient passes away. Sadness is part of the grieving process. Through donation you become attached to this person you don't even know and its hard not to feel connected.

    If you get this please update me on how things went and how you are doing.

    Thank you Azeem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kylie,

    thanks for your reply! I donated this week; Monday & Tuesday in London. I'm feeling very drained but my energy levels are picking up - I'm lucky that I have very supportive people around me. But luckier that I've only had to go through a few days of discomfort - the GSFC (I think it's known as filgastrim in the US) really took it out of me.

    All through the process I was thinking 'this isn't a pleasant experience but I'm blessed to be the donor rather than the recipient'. I'm now just hoping that everything works out for the recipient, but I have no control over what happens next. I'm okay with that; I've given them a chance - and as human beings I don't think we can give any more than that.

    Very best wishes,

    Azeem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Kylie for writing this blog, and to Azeem for posting such thoughtful questions. I was matched as a potential donor a month ago, and got a call today that I need to go in next week for additional blood testing. Even though I might not be the best match after that, I'm still getting sort of emotional about the whole thing, for the reasons both of you mentioned. It's not about me - it's about the woman I might be able to help. If I'm not a match after next week, what happens to her? I guess I'll have to wait and see.

    If I move on to the donation phase, I'm glad I have this blog to have given me some insight into the process. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Lynn, regardless of what happens you have done the only thing you can control, and that's be on the register!well done for that, and I hope all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kylie, Azeem and Lynn for your thoughts about your experiences. It's made me feel a little less alone in this whole thing. I haven't really felt like talking too much to anybody about it yet. That time will come, but right now I'm just feeling in limbo.

    I got the call about being a match about three weeks ago and had my 'confirmatory' testing earlier this week to see if I'll be the best match for him.

    I've got a lot of conflicting thoughts and feelings - worry about not being the best match, but hoping he finds the best match even if it's not me. You're right - I've felt connected to him the moment I found out about him. I wonder if he knows there is a potential match/es and if he is waiting for confirmation too. Or do they not tell him until they KNOW there's a definite match? I'm worried about him and hoping he's doing okay while we all wait.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was medically cleared to donate last week. Will be donating in mid-September. I have re-read your posts - they help a lot. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete