Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day One, Entry Two

It is now past 4:00 o'clock in the afternoon. Since my first entry I have successfully made it to Providence, without any flood anxiety - apparently the worst of it is further south than where I am, and had my first "appointment" at the donor center. Patricia, one of the women from the Rhode Island Blood Donor Center, picked me up at Kennedy Plaza and took me directly to the blood center. Upon arriving there we went over the daily question list I will answer each day (how do I feel, am I aching, if I am aching where am I aching, etc). Then I had my vitals taken and the blood for my baseline CBC drawn. The nurse also administered my first dose of Filgrastim, one injection in each arm. Filgrastim is the medication that will force my white blood cells into over-drive and into my blood stream rather than remaining in my bone marrow. I will go back for the next four mornings to have injections in each arm.

As for my plans for the rest of the evening I am currently plotting a trip to the Whole Foods Market that is 4/10 of a mile away for staples such as bagels and cream cheese. I am also working on the logistics of getting myself to Roger Williams Park Zoo before the wonderful weather and weekend are over. I am thinking that dinner will be delivery pizza followed by snuggling into bed nice and early.

My feelings so far can pretty much be summarized as I am thankful to have made it safely to my destination and that I'm still worn out from my early morning. The hotel is beautiful and is fully equipped with a gym and pool as well as a restaurant and spa. My room is cozy and has a nice big screen TV and its own bathroom. Overall I don't think I will have any problems with comfort (in terms of living accomodations anyway).

I am still nervous about everything and just hoping that my CBC levels remain good. Maybe it is selfish, but I really want to be able to give the patient receiving my stem cells a second chance. I want to help and one of my fears is that my CBC will drop below acceptable levels and somehow the actual marrow donation won't pan out and that I will have failed this person who is depending on me...

1 comment:

  1. How could anything you said in the last paragraph (or are currently doing, for that matter) be even remotely construed as being selfish???

    ReplyDelete