Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day One, Entry One

It is so early. I have already been up for 2 hours today, an unprecedented feat in my normal life. If it weren't for a 6:30 am bus I'd likely still be sound asleep in my bed. It is crazy to me that I am on my way to Rhode Island to begin the peripheral blood stem cell donation today. It is hard to believe that three months ago I was just learning that I might be a match for a patient. I am beginning to get nervous, there are a lot of what-ifs swirling in my head. What if I get stuck in Boston due to the flooding in Rhode Island? Then I'll have to be in Rhode Island longer, which means missing more work and school, I don't mind but I am sure my boss and professors might. What if something goes awry with my plasma count and I have to schedule the bone marrow surgery? Same idea as before - more missed life back home. Even though I am nervous about everything I am very excited at the same time. This is such an amazing thing that I have been given the opportunity to do and I am proud to say that I am doing it.

To summarize my feelings as of 7:06 am: tired, nervous, and excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment